Dr. Bernie Siegel is a retired pediatric surgeon and New York Times Best Selling Author. He is a well-known proponent of alternative approaches to healing that heal not just the body, but also the mind and soul. In 1978 Bernie pioneered a new approach to group and individual cancer therapy. His goal is to humanise medical education and medical care, as well as empowering patients and teaching survival behavior to enhance immune system competency. He speaks to audiences all around the globe and The Watkin’s review described him as the 20th Most Spiritually Influential Living Person on the Planet.
In This Episode:
- A description of the moment that changed the direction of Bernie’s entire life.
- The transformative power that love, kindness and caring has on people.
- What Bernie means by “Stories change people, whilst statistics give them something to argue about”
- Studies have shown that loneliness affects the genes which control immune function, so if you are lonely you are more likely to get diseases.
- Why having a dog in the house improves your chances of surviving an illness.
- You want to live to be 100? Bernie describes an article that discusses what things you need to do.
- “Monday mornings we have more heart attacks, strokes, suicides and illnesses”
- A description of the huge importance and transformative power of Hope.
- The power and effectiveness of placebos.
- The mind and body are both interconnected and part of one unit, rather than separate entities.
- No doctor is ever taught that 100 years ago, Carl “Jung interpreted a dream and diagnosed a brain tumour.”
- Ways in which Bernie is able to interpret patients drawings and how guided imagery can be used to help them.
- A description of a fascinating medical study done on actors which proves that our bodies chemistry changes based on our thoughts and feelings.
- An unbelievable statistic that shows the connection between a parents love and the child living a long and healthy life.
- Ways in which adopting the right attitude can change everything.
- What does a fulfilled life mean to Bernie?
- What is 1 thing all our listeners can do today that will have a massive positive effect on their lives?
- Which books or resources have changed/had a big impact on your life?
A Book of Miracles: Inspiring True Stories of Healing, Gratitude, and Love by Dr. Bernie S. Siegel
The Human Comedy by William Saroyan
Connect with Bernie:
Want a Free Audiobook from Audible.com? Grab one here